Why use an external source for testing?
There are three main reasons why many clients choose to involve a third party to assist them in testing:
- To impart independent expertise and advice to the business. This normally takes the form of assisting in risk evaluation and mitigation, and support in making informed decisions.
- To supplement the experience of the client’s team. This is particularly appropriate when there are new technologies involved.
- To supplement the resources available in-house. Testing is an obvious function to out-source, since it benefits from independence.
How can Evolutif help?
All IT project development plans include a number of testing steps, many of which are on the critical path of the project. Testing specialists, independent from the developers, should perform these tasks to gain the maximum risk mitigation.
Typically, these tasks include:
- Preparation of the overall Test Strategy and a Test Plan
- Test Automation Plan
- Configuration of the Test Environment
- Selection and installation of testing tools
- Training of testers (test tools training or users who have not tested before)
- Acceptance testing of a Build
- Systems testing
- Performance testing
- Security testing
- Usability testing
- User Acceptance Testing
- Integration testing
- Testing of the migration of data between builds
First and foremost, Evolutif brings to its clients a risk-based proven methodology for creating a test strategy quickly, taking into account the project’s schedule and budgetary constraints. The strategy also includes the implications of what testing has been left out (e.g., what risks are not covered).
We assign trained experienced resources such as test architects, test managers, tool specialists, security and performance specialists when required, as well as the more traditional teams of systems testers and help for the user testing team. A managed testing approach ensures that the testing is done efficiently and effectively. Why Choose Evolutif?
- We have a long record of accomplishment in software testing. Our flexible approach to risk-based testing and test strategies allows us to define effective test strategies up-front.
- Amongst the software testing companies, we uniquely combine a leading-edge consultancy practice, with the provision of managed teams.
- We are flexible in responding to changing project plans in a dynamic project environment. Most projects are under extreme pressure to deliver in tight and often unrealistic schedules. We are pragmatic and are sensitive to the needs of management, users and developers.
- We have partnerships with the major test tool vendors and other specialist test resources such as for security testing and for remote portal-based performance testing.
- We are independent from the vendor or software developer’s testing teams, e.g., ‘we are not marking our own homework’.
Why does it work?
The main reason that the service works is that the right resources are available at the right time. An additional benefit is that the service frees up senior testing resources from recruiting activities (reviewing CVs, interviewing, taking calls from agencies). This is particularly valuable at project start-up when these activities can occupy a significant portion of the test manager’s time.
As well as providing dedicated testing resources, with a managed team approach, Evolutif will supply resources for as little as one day to a few weeks to help clients over a particular problem or resource peak.
The team is managed using ‘best testing practice’, and even when we are called in after a test strategy has been set, we will make suggestions for improvement if we believe that testing can be done more effectively if a change of practice is adopted.